Under the Clean Air Act, the process of ensuring that a region’s transportation planning activities contribute to attainment of the National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS), or “conform”, is referred to as transportation conformity. All Federally funded projects and regionally significant projects, regardless of funding source, in areas designated by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) as air quality non-attainment or maintenance areas must come from a conforming metropolitan transportation plan and transportation improvement program (TIP). The Triangle region is required by 40 CFR 51 and 93 to make a conformity determination on any newly adopted or amended fiscally constrained metropolitan transportation plan and TIP. In addition, the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT), specifically, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA), must make a conformity determination on MPO Plans in the Triangle region and the related TIPs in all non-attainment and maintenance areas.
Air Quality Conformity Determinations in 2023
1. Amendment #1 to 2050 Metropolitan Transportation Plan Air Quality Conformity Determination
The Air Quality Conformity Determination analysis and report was approved by the CAMPO Executive Board on August 16, 2023.
Air Quality Conformity Determinations in 2021/2022
1. 2050 Metropolitan Transportation Plan Air Quality Conformity Determination
The Air Quality Conformity Determination analysis and report was approved by the CAMPO Executive Board on February 16, 2022.
Air Quality Conformity Determinations in 2020
1. 2020-2029 Transportation Improvement Program and 2045 Amendments (for the Capital Area MPO)
Due of the recent designation of a Locally Preferred Alternative that sets the alignment for the Western Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) corridor in Wake County, both the 2045 Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP) and the 2020-2029 Transportation Improvement Plan (TIP) need to be amended with the designated alignment. Further, because this alignment is considered to be a significant amendment, according to federal guidance, the MPO is once again required to demonstrate conformity between the MTP and TIP for air quality. The Air Quality Determination analysis and report was approved by the CAMPO Executive Board on November 18, 2020.
- Air Quality Conformity Report - October 2020
Air Quality Conformity Determinations in 2019
1. 2020-2029 Transportation Improvement Program and 2045 MTP Amendments (for DCHC MPO)
- 2020-2029 Transportation Improvement Program AQ Conformity Determination (Full Report - December 2019)
2. 2045 MTP and 2018-2027 TIP Conformity Determination
- 2045 MTP Amendments and 2018-2027 TIP Amendments Conformity Determination Report (Full Report - August 2019)