Prioritization 6.0 (SPOT 6)
SPOT 6 refers to the process that guides the development of a 2023-2032 Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP). It began in late 2019.
--SPOT 6 Cancelled - Summer 2021--
Part One: Submittal of Candidate Projects
MPOs across the state start their work by prioritizing the projects to be submitted to the SPOT 6 process. This includes:
- A call for non-roadway projects (bike/ped, transit, and aviation) from local municipalities and transportation agencies in the fall of 2019.
- Candidate roadway projects are gathered from the MPO's approved Transportation Improvement Plan and Metropolitan Transportation Plan, and along with the non-roadway projects, a proposed list is then recommended to and approved by the Executive Board.
- The MPO submits the projects to SPOT 6 by July 31, 2020. (Schedule adjusted by NCDOT on 4/14/2020; previous deadline was May 1
Part Two: Project Scoring by NCDOT
- NCDOT Releases Initial Project Scores (prioritized lists by mode - roadways, non-roadways)
- NCDOT Releases the Draft Statewide Mobility Projects list.
Part Three: Assignment of Local Input Points
- Regional Impact Category
Staff evaluates the CAMPO project submittals and recommends additional point assignments for regional projects to the Executive Board for approval and resubmittal to SPOT 6 by August 27, 2021.
NCDOT then releases a draft list of Regional Impact Projects in October of 2021.
2. Division Needs Category
Part Four: DRAFT 2023-2032 STIP Released by NCDOT
For more information on any of these items please contact Alex Rickard.