Look Ahead for 2020
Several transportation planning efforts will be continuing or starting in the year 2020. Staff send quarterly updates (subscribe), but please reach out to MPO staff anytime with questions or comments.
The census will officially begin in April, but much planning has been ongoing for the past several months and public outreach is ramping up. In addition to providing important data on the demographics across all pockets in our community, the census is also used to update MPO boundaries, and therefore membership, every ten years.
Strategic Planning Phase I
The Census outcomes present an opportunity to review and update CAMPO's strategic plan - 2014. The update process will kickoff in 2020 and is anticipated to be complete in 2021.
Development Begins on the 2050 MTP
Work continued thru 2019 to update the region's transportation forecasting model, known as the Triangle Regional Model (TRM). In 2020, CAMPO, along with the Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro MPO, will begin the public facing development of the Triangle region's long-range transportation plan, known as the 2050 Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP). Highlights include
- Forecasting and sharing estimates for growth and future traffic volumes,
- Setting overall goals for the 2050 MTP, and,
- Beginning to prioritize projects to keep, shift, or add to the draft 2050 MTP list.
Unique email updates will be sent as the MTP Update development moves forward.
Transportation Planning Efforts
- Finalize Transportation Demand Management (TDM) Plan Update Goals
- Completion of 3 Technical Studies: 1) R.E.D. Lanes Study, 2) ITS Deployment Plan Update, and 3) Commuter Corridors Study (final report posted online soon)
- Completion of Fayetteville/Raleigh Passenger Rail Study
- Kickoff of Northeast Area Study Update
- Kickoff of Triangle Bikeway Implementation Study
- Update of the Coordinated Human Services Public Transportation Plan
Wake Transit Plan Implementation
- Wake Transit Work Plan FY 2021 Development - This is the work program that is developed annually for the Wake County Transit Plan (adopted in 2016).
- Wake Transit Plan 2020 Update - CAMPO is managing the project to update the Wake Transit Plan. As a 10-year plan, this update will extend from the original plan's outlook of 2027 by three years to 2030.