News & Announcements
updated January 2020
Innovation, Information, and illumination are all on tap for the 2020 N.C. Association of Metropolitan Planning Organizations (NCAMPO) Conference. Submit presentation ideas by January 17, 2020. The conference will be April 22-24 in Greenville, N.C.
- Applications for NCDOT Bicycle Helmet Initiative due Jan. 6. To reduce bicycle injuries and deaths, NCDOT is encouraging groups to apply for free bicycle helmets to be distributed at safety events to underprivileged children and low-income adults.
- N.C. Transportation Summit - January 8-9 at Raleigh Convention Center
- Mobi Award Submissions due Jan. 10. The Mobi Awards recognize multimodal projects that connect communities, create jobs, spark economic development and enhance quality of life. Nominations can be made by any N.C. city, town, county, metropolitan planning organization, rural planning organization, public transportation system/authority, airport authority, college, university or council of government. Entries should describe a transportation project that was completed within the last five years (or put into operation/service within that time period) and projects must combine two or more of the following modes of transportation: transit, bicycle/pedestrian, rail, aviation, ferry or highway.
- Watch for Me NC Program Applications due Jan. 31. Communities may apply to NCDOT for this nationally-recognized program that focuses on bicycle and pedestrian safety, education and enforcement. Communities selected to participate will receive free law enforcement training, technical assistance and safety tools provided by NCDOT and the UNC Highway Safety Research Center.
- NC Comprehensive State Rail Plan Update – Feedback Needed: The Comprehensive State Rail Plan helps identify needs and guides investments in North Carolina's freight and passenger rail network for the next 25 years and is currently being updated. Read more on the project webpage and provide your thoughts on the Update via the online survey.
- NC Moves 2050 Feedback Needed by Feb. 14 via Online Survey: NCDOT is conducting a two-year, multi-phased study that involves examining all aspects of North Carolina’s transportation system, collecting data and information about its performance and anticipated challenges in the future and engaging the public to capture thoughts and ideas about the state’s biggest challenges in the future.
U.S. EPA Announcements
Deadline February 26: The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is excited to announce the upcoming availability of approximately $44 million in Diesel Emission Reduction Program (DERA) grant funds to support projects aimed at reducing emissions from the nation's existing fleet of older diesel engines. Under this competition, the DERA program is soliciting applications nationwide for projects that achieve significant reductions in diesel emissions and exposure, particularly from fleets operating in areas designated by the EPA Administrator as poor air quality areas. On January 14, there will be a webinar to help potential applicants learn more about program details, changes from last year’s RFA, who is eligible for the grants, what projects can be funded, how to apply, etc.